(NC) Did you know that sugar and spice make desserts oh so nice? A bit of heat is a surprisingly delicious complement to sugar. If your sweet tooth starts nagging you mid-evening, you’ll want something quick that’ll satisfy that craving.
These easy-peasy jalapeño, lemon and lime squares can be made from scratch in under five minutes, using only your microwave. They pack a punch and are guaranteed to hit the spot.
Jalapeño, lemon and lime microwave squares
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1 ¼ cup (135 g) graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup (62.5 mL) melted salted butter
- ¼ cup (62.5 mL) melted butter, cooled for 5 minutes
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/3 cup (83 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Tabasco Green sauce
- 1 tbsp (6 g) lemon and lime zest
- For the crust, microwave ¼ cup butter and mix together with graham cracker crumbs. Press firmly onto bottom of 9–inch, microwave–safe dish, lined with parchment paper. Cook in microwave at 80 per cent power for 3 minutes. Check to make sure the crust is firm. If not, heat an additional 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a separate microwave–safe bowl, mix ¼ cup melted butter, sugar, egg yolks and egg until well combined. Whisk in lemon and lime juice, Tabasco Green sauce, zests and lemon juice together.
- Microwave in 1-minute intervals, stirring after each minute. Finish with 30–second intervals when it starts to thicken, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour lemon curd over crust. Let cool, then refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.
Find more delicious recipes including one pot fried rice, bacon and cheese meatloaf and eggplant parm using only your microwave at h.